By George Boyd © 2019
Many “New Age” practitioners—guides, coaches, psychic readers, channelers, shamans, and visionaries—incorporate some type of meditation in their practice. These techniques variously purport to bring about “enlightenment,” produce healing, empower others to live up to their “true potential,” dissolve negative or limiting beliefs, remove blocks to true love and happiness, and to enable communion with guides and other denizens of the Astral Plane.
Seven major categories of meditation that these practitioners utilize include:
- Meditation that incorporates occult practices – These include summoning spirits; employing hypnosis to control other people; using tarot card decks designed by occult initiates; making use of amulets, charms, or crystals to bring good luck or ward off evil; applying essential oils to evoke certain powers or stimulate selected chakras; or intoning “spells” or magical incantations to manifest desired results.
- Meditations that incorporate shamanic elements – These include ingesting psychedelic drugs, such as ayahuasca, peyote, potent marijuana or hashish, or psilocybin mushrooms that enable people to enter altered states of consciousness and commune with spirits; cleansing the atmosphere with sweet grass, sage, or feathers; invoking the Earth Mother or kachinas; participating in sweat lodges; making offerings with a “sacred” pipe; going on “vision quests;” playing native instruments in invocational ceremonies, such as pan pipes, primitive flutes, native drums, or didgeridoos; transferring bad energy or illness to an egg or other object in healing sessions; or calling upon animal spirits or native American guides.
- Meditations that incorporate pseudo-scientific elements – These include meditations featuring purported “DNA restructuring” through attunements; setting up healing environments that employ frequency generators, like the Rife generator or “sound healing” chambers; employing brain entrainment technology with “photic” (visual) or “aural” (auditory) stimulation; entering places that produce sense deprivation, like “samadhi tanks;” promoting radical diets to promote weight loss and healing, including the foodless “breatharian” diet; and teaching others to manifest desires using the quantum field or enter into the “unified field” in meditation.
- Meditations that invoke inhabitants of the Psychic Realm – These meditations may call upon extraterrestrials or Masters of the Galactic Brotherhood; angels or archangels; “Ascended Masters;” sundry “channeled” entities; or pray to the Mother Father God at the top of the Psychic Realm.
- Meditations that channel energy – These meditations make attunement with the etheric body to promote healing; send the Light to work with material in the unconscious mind to bring about emotional release and remove limiting beliefs; and channeling spiritual energies from sundry Psychic Realm entities designed to instill new qualities in the aura.
- Meditations that lead attention into union with the “Higher Self” or Soul – These include meditations on the wave of the present time on the Akashic Records Subplane (the eternal now); varieties of “enlightenment” meditation that focus attention on the Soul; and “guided meditations” that take your attention on a hypnotic journey to meet the Soul within.
- Meditations targeted upon selected bands of the Abstract Mind Plane and Psychic Realm – These include training in visualization and autohypnosis; process meditation; meditation on the “present time” or eternal now; using evocative inquiry questions to promote change; affirmation; changing beliefs to positively influence the Law of Attraction; learning to activate your psychic powers; journeying to levels of the Psychic Realm where you can commune with departed spirits, angels, “Ascended Masters,” and extraterrestrials; activating and unfolding your “star seed;” communing with astral personality forms or receiving guidance from entities of the Psychic Realm through channeling; or traveling with a Psychic Guide to behold the flame of the Mother Father God at the top of the Psychic Realm.
We recommend that aspirants who are journeying through the Psychic Realm focus on learning radiative healing and alternative healing modalities, activating their native psychic powers required for their Soul’s mission, and mastering specific meditations that activate and provide access to the knowledge and abilities of each Subplane of the Abstract Mind Plane and Psychic Realm.
Syncretistic meditations that incorporate occult or shamanic practices may bring in energies or entities that are not benign from the Lower Astral Plane. We recommend that practitioners steer clear of these types of practices—substituting instead, meditations that tap into the Subplanes of the Abstract Mind Plane and Psychic Realm.
We suggest that you subject any pseudo-scientific-based meditations to critical analysis. Determine whether or not they produce the results they promise and whether their premises are valid or flawed.
We also caution those who come into the orbit of powerful Psychic Realm personalities and the entities they channel or embody. Our experience is that many seekers can become entranced and their lives controlled through these psychic cult leaders. There are a variety of Psychic Realm cults that have grown up around these charismatic channelers, healers, and visionaries.
Helpful Meditations to Use When Journeying through the Psychic Realm
Meditations that teach you how to channel energy; show you how to unite with your Higher Self or Soul; or train you in specific modalities for healing or working our issues in your unconscious mind may be good preparation for your future spiritual ministry in levels beyond the Psychic Realm.
It would also be valuable for you to get some context on where the Psychic Realm dwells on the Great Continuum of Consciousness; understanding that this is but one grade in the School of Life will go a long way in helping you properly appreciate what you are learning in the light of the “big picture” of your Soul’s Aeonic journey.
From this band of the Continuum, we predominantly teach meditations of type seven, meditations keyed to major levels of the Abstract Mind Plane in our intermediate meditation courses, the in-person Mudrashram® Master Course in Meditation and the by-mail and online Accelerated Meditation Program. These meditations are important tools for work on personal issues and to augment the transcendence meditations that form the core of Integral meditation practice.
Mudrashram® Study Suggestions for the Psychic Realm
We suggest aspirants read our book, The Psychic Realm: Finding Safe Passage through the Worlds of Illusion to gain greater understanding of this mysterious realm.
You may also find our webinar training, “The Psychic Realm Series,” under the Public tab in the Public Webinar Access portion of our website will be helpful in gaining insight into some of the common experiences people have in this realm.
Those who are currently learning to develop their psychic powers may also find our “Psychic Powers Workshop” and “How to Read Your Own Past Lives,” under this same Public tab, to be useful.
Finally, we recommend that aspirants should know why they do certain practices, dispassionately evaluate their effectiveness, and the potential limitations or drawbacks of their use, and avoid employing methods that bring in unwanted influences, or result in enslavement or self-delusion.