Psychological issues, painful emotions, and fears can be processed and released through a variety of different methods. Among these methods that coaches, healers, and metaphysical counselors use are:
- Holding your attention on the emotions that you feel in your body and riding them until you feel peace or release
- Shifting from an issue to a state of blissful transcendence and back again several times until the emotional charge in the issue is dissipated
- Asking a repetitive question to the unconscious mind until you reach the originating incident
- Holding acupuncture points and tapping them, and using an affirmation, while focusing on your issue
- Continuously breathing through the issue until you transcend it
- Asking selective questions to the issue to reveal its core
- Using affirmations with energetic attunements to burn the issue away
It is clearly valuable that these processes and evocative methods overcome limiting beliefs or fears that keep people back from taking the next step in their lives, but we must also ask, are there instances where processing can deaden or erase protective factors in the unconscious mind?
A protective factor in the unconscious mind is one that sets appropriate limits and regards the larger perspective. In this way, these sentinels of the unconscious are effectively acting as a brake on destructive passions; and on the over-zealousness of the ego in attaining its desires and dreams without regard for others, which takes the form of manipulating and using others to get what it wants.
A protective factor might:
- Set a limit on what you charge for products and services, restraining the impulses of unbridled greed
- Regard the impact of what you are going to say to others, before you hurt their feelings
- Consider the needs of a potential sexual partner, instead of regarding them to be a convenient way to experience pleasure and orgasm
- Introduce a modicum of humility and consideration of others to counteract tendencies to narcissism and arrogance
- Counter impulses of violence and revenge, when the consequences might prove dangerous or catastrophic
- Have an openness and tolerance for the customs and beliefs of other cultures, instead of insisting that others accept your values and mores
- Retain objects that have no current utility, but are known to have usefulness for what you will become in the future
- Check behavior that may seem exciting, but can lead to injury or even death
These protective factors, which may appear like fears or inhibiting reservations, may seem like hindrances on attaining what you desire. As a result, many coaches, New Age helpers, and metaphysical counselors who use these evocative, emotional processing methods, simply remove these inner restraints, with an aim to maximize their clients’ “human potentials” through helping them achieve all their desires.
The wisdom and restraint these protective factors produce, alas, is removed along with the irrational fears and patterns of self-sabotage that do indeed hinder progress and change. What these helpers unwittingly create through uprooting these aspects of wisdom are people who:
- Become grandiose and arrogant (narcissism)
- Assume they can magically wish or intend things into being (magical thinking, omnipotence)
- Believe they can charge enormous sums of money for their products and services, so they become fabulously wealthy—but convey little of intrinsic or lasting value to their clients (greedy exploitation)
- Believe they can claim expertise or mastery of a topic without extensive study, experience, and practice of the skill (false expertise)
- Eliminate prudent consideration of potential investments before risking large sums of money, based on exaggerated promises (imprudence)
- Act on excitement and enthusiasm, not considering the potential real risks and consequences (impulsivity)
- Overestimate their chances of success, and make poor judgments (overconfidence)
As people begin process material at the wave of consciousness on the Akashic Records Subplane of the Abstract Mind Plane, they can select to work on any issue they believe holds them back. However, it is important that they discern which of these issues are the sentinels of the Wisdom Plane, and which need to be removed to facilitate movement into the next step of their growth.
People can be manipulated through their dreams, desires, and fantasies, and be persuaded to do things that—in the context of their life purpose and mission—are not for their highest good. We encourage those who seek to open these portals to the unconscious think upon these things, and identify what is a protective restraint and which is an issue that is genuinely limiting growth.