By George A. Boyd © 2020
Q: How do people discover their purpose? It seems many people have no clue as to why they are here.
A: Many people just follow other people. They look to celebrities, “social media influencers,” “authorities,” and “experts” to tell them what is the right thing to do. This is inherently confusing, because no one seems to agree what is the right thing to do.
Those who do stop following the herd commonly undergo an inner revolution, where they question everything they believe. They seek to arrive at core knowledge of who they are and what they stand for.
The journey from following others to being consciously established in your purpose appears to follow seven steps:
- Following others – At this step, you emphasize conformity. You don’t dare to be different. You have an abiding fear of being rejected or not loved if you violate the group norms—and this blowback from the group can be intense—for in some social settings, you may be ostracized, punished, imprisoned, tortured, or even killed if you disobey the dictates of those around you.
- Confusion – At this stage, you find flaws in what others are telling you and doing, so you are not clear what is the right thing to do. You search your mind and heart to discover what is true—to know who you are and what you stand for. You may be susceptible at this stage to those who offer “solutions” to your quandary: you may begin to embrace conspiracy theories, or join a political or religious cult that offers you a sense of identity and purpose advancing the agenda of the group and its leader.
- Taking the first step in your authentic life – After you have made a deep inquiry, you discover one goal that is aligned with your true values, and you act on it. This requires faith and courage, as the groups with which you affiliated may not approve of your choices and may try to dissuade you from taking this step—indeed, they may attempt to actively deter you or interfere with your decision.
- Generating your life map – At this plateau of growth, you visualize how you want your life to be in all areas. You gain clarity about what you want in your life, and you work to make that happen. Your intention and volition align, so you begin to manifest what you want. You become what you want to be. You acquire what you want to have. You do the things you want to do in your life.
- A vision of greater possibilities – When you reach this level, you receive intuitive guidance, inspiration, and a stream of ideas from your Superconscious mind that opens the door to creativity, innovation, greater efficiency and productivity, invention, and improved outcomes for your projects.
- Overshadowing – As you advance to this station, you intuitively receive direction from your Soul and the Divine. You may hear the whispering of the Divine Will, which leads you to carry out your service to others, or to engage in ministry to the capacity of your skills and understanding. You develop faith and trust in the Divine. You obey what the Divine Will asks you to do. You dedicate your life to service.
- Discovery of your purpose – When you reach this deepest encounter with your reason for living, your Soul is established in its crown of purpose. It guides your personality to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to carry out this objective. It actively enacts this Soul mission in your life.
There appears to be a parallel between the state of spiritual evolution and the ability to embrace steps four to seven:
Those who reach the Universal Mind Subplane at the top of the Abstract Mind Plane gain the ability to visualize a clear map of everything they want in their life, and align their intention and will to carry this out.
Those who sojourn into the Psychic Realm often tap into guidance that reveals new possibilities, and uncovers insights that were previously veiled or hidden. This revelatory storm does produce some distorted, non-useful, or misleading ideas, but some of the possibilities revealed do turn out to be valuable and worthwhile.
Divine-Will-overshadowing usually first appears in those who are taking the First Planetary Initiation. Those Souls who are natively established in this band of the Great Continuum of Consciousness are immersed in the Light Stream coming from the Divine, and become innately sensitive to the Divine Direction, which whispers in the silence.
Those who prematurely activate their Moon Soul or Christ Child nucleus of identity through focusing on this essence and identifying with it can sometimes tap into the source of guidance that the Holy Spirit communicates within this center, but this method introduces some distortions—so it is not uncommon to find various religious enthusiasms and odd beliefs and doctrines arising in those who jump ahead into this sacred heart before their Souls have evolved into this level.
Those who have a preordained role in the Divine Plan will typically have a crown of purpose on the Plane of New World Servers in the Third Planetary Initiation. Once their Soul becomes established in this crown, they begin to guide their personality to enact their purpose.
Those who don’t have a crown of purpose have as their Divine Plan, the full development of their Soul to Liberation in the Nirvanic Flame. Some of these ones have as their calling to embody the Monad as a Planetary Adept, and minister to those who are moving on to their next step in the Planetary Realm.
Those who practice the transformational mantra we impart to them in our Integral meditation system speed up the rate at which they progress from step four to step seven. Some of those who practice this method report that they have a much clearer understanding of their Soul Purpose, and readily become established in their crown of purpose.
If you are interested in learning how to accelerate your spiritual evolution using the transformational mantra keyed to your cutting edge of spirituality can find out how to use this key technique in one of our intermediate meditation classes—the in-person Mudrashram® Master Course in Meditation or the by-mail and online Accelerated Meditation Program.
You may also find the Purpose Workshop webinar helpful. This is available on our Public Webinar platform. It will help you differentiate your core Soul Purpose from other layers of purpose that are commonly confused with your genuine mission.