By George A. Boyd ©2020
Q: What constitutes effective leadership?
A: Leadership appears to constitute the following elements within a corporation:
- Empowerment – A leader empowers others to do their job, providing resources and support, but holds them accountable for the results they produce
- Persuasion – A leader effectively persuades others to carry out the organization’s mission
- Vision – A leader clearly communicates the organization’s mission to others.
- Strategy and Plan – A leader details a step-by-step plan to implement the vision, and develops contingency plans for potential obstacles or unforeseen events
- Accountability – A leader takes responsibility for his or her actions and decisions, takes ownership for mistakes, and tells the truth
- Encouragement – A leader sets the tone for the organization, conveying realistic optimism, and gives hope to others during periods of setback or obstacles
- Builds upon Success – A leader incrementally improves the organization’s internal procedures to bring about improved efficiency, better morale, and increases sales to augment profits, shareholder returns, and the organization’s overall financial profile; aims to move the organization to new levels of effectiveness and profitability
To evaluate the effectiveness of a leader, you could rate that leader on a scale of zero to ten for each of these seven factors. We would expect a leader that scored above 80% overall on this scale would be effectively and consistently move his or her organization in a positive direction.
Q: How does leadership play out in spiritual organizations? How does leadership express in spirituality?
A: Here you have to tease apart how a spiritual organization is run on the Physical Plane and the motivating and supportive dynamics that its Initiates and advanced disciples demonstrate to sustain the development of those who affiliate with the group.
You could certainly evaluate the effectiveness of leadership in a Physical Plane organization using these same criteria. What we might call its Higher Planes leadership—the internal impetus from its Initiates and advanced disciples supporting spiritual development and actualization of personal and spiritual potentials—appears to also draw upon these factors.
We can use Mudrashram® as an example of how the Multiplane Masters of the Mudrashram® lineage employ these Higher Plane leadership factors:
- Empowerment – The Masters empower you to unfold and awaken you spiritual potentials. They give you a transformational mantra to unfold your Soul. They teach you how to free your spirit and enable it to return to its origin. They teach you how to activate your intentional consciousness, which we call the attentional principle. The teach you to safely awaken the Kundalini to allow you to utilize the full potentials of your mind. This empowerment enables you to take charge of your spiritual evolution.
- Persuasion – They give inspired discourse (Satsang) to persuade you to use your time wisely and productively to maximize your personal and spiritual growth.
- Vision – They communicate to you what is possible when you reach the highest levels of the Great Work in the seventh stage of spiritual development, which includes the Bridge Path, and the Sixth and Seventh Transcendental Path.
- Strategy and Plan – They clearly delineate the plan for your spiritual development through all levels of the Continuum. They give you customized strategies to overcome any obstacles you might be encountering in you meditations.
- Accountability – They hold the human lineage holder, who represents the lineage, to the highest standards. They insist that the lineage holder tell you the truth, and if he has made a mistake, to admit it and correct it.
- Encouragement – They offer encouragement and support to Mudrashram® students, and hold out that progress is possible despite obstacles you might be encountering in your meditations, or difficulties you are dealing with in your life.
- Builds upon success – They have moved Mudrashram® a long way since its inception in 1983! They are continually developing new ways to educate, support, and train Mudrashram® students.
Examples of building upon success in Mudrashram® are:
Already in Place
- They have developed training courses and workshops for beginning, intermediate, and advanced meditation students
- They have provided books, webinars, library articles and videos, and web log posts to educate Mudrashram® students and seekers about meditation
- They have put into place coaching programs to support people overcome difficulties that hinder them from effectively meditating
- They have implemented certification programs to train healing arts practitioners, therapists, and counselors to apply meditation to help their clients
- They have instituted Teacher Training Programs to train advanced meditation students to teach others our beginning, intermediate, and advanced meditation classes
- They have made available spiritual guidance readings and attunements to provide individualized guidance for Mudrashram® students and seekers
Currently Under Development
- They are developing an eBook series to extend the scope of existing educational materials
- Mudrashram® will become a non-profit organization to improve its ability to serve Mudrashram® students and spiritual seekers
The inner inspiration and support that the Initiates of a spiritual tradition supply is the crucial factor that makes the difference as to whether those who affiliate with that teaching make genuine spiritual progress. This Higher Plane leadership is the guiding star that gives its Physical Plane spiritual organization its mission and motivation to continue.