By George A. Boyd ©2017
Q: How do I know when I have connected with my Soul? How can I be sure that I’m truly hearing its voice?
A: Some of the signs that you have touched your Soul include:
- Joy – When you feel that deep “yes!!!!” inside of you, like you hit on that perfect thing, you have tapped into your Soul.
- Conviction – When you know something is right from the very core of you, in every fiber of your being, you have contacted the Soul.
- Sense of purpose – When you realize this is the reason you have been born, you uncover your Soul’s expressed purpose. You may feel that your Soul has a mission that it has come here to accomplish, and you have the opportunity to cooperate with it in manifesting its purpose.
- Unconditional love and great compassion – When you feel boundless love and compassion welling up from the core of you, you have come to the fountainhead of the Soul.
- Permission and direction – When the Soul allows you to do something that you have suppressed or postponed out of fear or doubt, the Soul is at work. When the still small voice within speaks to you and tells you what you need to do, the Soul is communicating with you.
- You get multiple confirmations – You get the same guidance when you do reflective and receptive meditations: when all intuitive guidance you are receiving points to the same message, your Soul is guiding you. [We teach several types of reflective and receptive meditation in our intermediate meditation courses. The in-person Mudrashram® Master Course in Meditation and the by-mail and online Accelerated Meditation Program. We teach advanced meditations that tap the intuition in the Mudrashram® Advanced Course in Meditation.]
- You have a completion and release experience – When your Soul is winding up some aspect of its karma, you may have a completion and release experience. This is the culmination of your sustained effort and inner work: you experience that you are complete with this endeavor; your mission has been accomplished. If this is a spiritual Path upon which you have embarked, this occurs at the stage when you achieve Liberation or Jivan Mukta. If it is a personal project you have been directed to undertake, you know that you have accomplished everything what you were asked to do.
Much of the inner struggle of the aspirant arises from trying to ascertain the true voice of the Soul from the ten thousand messages coming from different layers of the mind. To verify a communication is from the Soul, you must place your attention upon the Soul, and then see, hear, and feel—with your inner senses—that it is the Soul that speaks to you and not something else.
In time, you will learn to recognize the signs that your Soul is giving you direction, and you will come to trust your own perception that this genuinely is your Soul. As you gain greater discernment, it will become easier for you to determine which messages come from the core of you and which arises in the labyrinth of the mind.
Q: Can the Soul communicate to you from coincidence? You know, experiences that happen seemingly randomly, but set you up for a mysterious encounter? Like someone meeting their spouse, or meeting their spiritual teacher through a series of uncanny coincidences?
A: Coincidence, the unfolding of events in a non-linear, synchronistic way, is more commonly associated with destiny, which is the part of your karma that you experience in human life. Destiny reveals itself in a strangely involuntary, magical, or irrational way; the direction of your Soul is purposeful and seeks to accomplish specific aims—and your Soul will guide you unequivocally when you truly contact it.