By George A. Boyd ©2022
Q: I saw a psychic for a tarot card reading. She said I needed to “balance my chakras.” What the heck is that?
A: The idea of chakra balancing presumes that some chakras are overactive and others are underactive; therefore, using an attunement or laying on of crystals or stones is believed to rectify that imbalance.
There are a variety of viewpoints of the chakras:
- Chakras as evolutionary markers – Here, the chakras are seen as stages on the spiritual journey. Some Kundalini traditions attempt to open the chakras through mantras, breathing, and Kundalini meditations; this can lead to imbalances.
- Chakras as embodying qualities – Each chakra is assigned specific qualities in this approach. Focusing attention on the chakra is presumed to bring out that quality.
- Chakras are containers of knowledge and wisdom – In this viewpoint each petal of each chakra contains specific knowledge.
- Chakras as energetic vortices – In this perspective, chakras resonate at a particular frequency. These chakras are etheric energy centers that express through mental channels (nadis) and somatic channels (meridians). Blockages in these channels can lead to physical ailments and psychological issues; unblocking these channels can help remedy these conditions.
- Chakras are channels of innate abilities – In this view, the petals of each chakras express as discrete behavior and abilities. This is the vista we utilize in our study of the chakras of your form in the Subconscious mind in our article, “Boyd’s Model of the Chakras,” which is available in our online Library.
- Chakras enable receptivity to spiritual influences – Opening of the heart, throat, point between the eyebrows, and brain in this point of view are purported to open connections to the spiritual Planes; the solar plexus, navel, and base of the spine chakra are believed to be the seat of the carnal and egoic tendencies. The aim of spiritual practice in this outlook is to transcend these lower chakras and function exclusively from these higher chakras.
- Chakras are auric fields – These circuits of electric and magnetic energy influence the body and the universe. By changing the energies that you send out into the universe, you activate the Law of Attraction. Ostensibly, by changing these energy fields, you alter experience and personal destiny. The idea of chakra balancing appears to tap into this perspective.
We suggest that you study the chakras through each of these channels, so you can begin to understand the multi-faceted functions of these centers.