By George A. Boyd © 2019
Q: I feel stuck. How do I change my life?
A: You need to apply one of the seven change strategies that will help get you moving again. These seven modalities for change are:
- Coaching – this empowers your choice and holds you accountable to make change.
- Psychotherapy – this finds the origin of patterns that are hindering your success and works with you until this pattern is resolved. Psychotherapy can address issues such as fear; limited belief about what you can do, be, or have; shame; self-sabotage; need to control; traumatic experience; or addiction—it keeps you focused on this issue until you have insight, breakthrough, and are able to change this area of your life that is not functioning.
- Counseling – this gives you information to facilitate your choices that yield successful outcomes. This may involve assisting you to set achievable and realistic goals, and troubleshooting your failures to design an alternate pathway to your objective that achieves the result you want.
- Hypnosis and affirmation – This uses suggestion and affirmation to activate your Subconscious and Superconscious mind to create change, augmenting the efforts you are making at the level of the ego [behavior] and the Self [vision of your life direction].
- Education and training – This gives you the knowledge and skills to accomplish a specific personal objective. It is usually employed to prepare you for your career, but education and training can be applied to any area of your life where you want to improve your functioning.
- Faith – When you embrace faith, you pray to God or other efficacious, empowered spiritual agency, whom you regard has the ability to remove your obstacles and help you achieve an outcome you desire. Invocation of the Divine in this way can release forgiveness, promote healing, and facilitate inner transformation and change through the work of the Spirit (Holy Spirit, Shakti).
- Meditation – This provides you with the inner tools to work on the issues of the personality, to promote insight and change, and to transform your spiritual potentials.
Which of these modalities are relevant for you?
- If you already are resourceful and you just need someone to support you and stand with you to facilitate your change, consider coaching
- If issues from your past are holding your back, psychotherapy may be what you need.
- If you don’t know the steps or what resources are available to you to achieve what you want, you may need the guidance of counseling.
- If you’ve tried to change, and your efforts are not working, you may wish to enlist the forces of your Subconscious and Superconscious mind, and try hypnosis and affirmation.
- If lack of knowledge or skills is holding you back, education and training will help you.
- If you’ve tried all the other methods and nothing seems to work, invoking a Transcendent and Omnific Power through faith may be your solution.
- If you seek to empower yourself to make change and generate transformation from within you, you may wish to learn meditation.
You need to identify what you need to change, and the best way that will help you change. Not every method will work for you. You need to find the key that unlocks your lock.
If you feel that meditation is the method that is best matched to the way you wish to generate change, we teach a complete program of meditation:
- For those who have never meditated before, we have put into place the Introduction to Meditation Program for you.
- For those with prior meditation experience, we offer you intermediate meditation programs, the in-person Mudrashram® Master Course in Meditation and the by-mail and online Accelerated Meditation Program.
- For those who have completed one of these intermediate programs, we have a variety of advanced meditation programs, beginning with the Mudrashram® Advanced Course in Meditation. Additional available programs designed to lead you to meditation mastery include the Satsang Program Home Study Course, the Mudrashram® Correspondence Course, and the Samadhi Week Program.
If you set your mind upon change, you will find which of these modalities that work for you and produce the results you want.