By George A. Boyd © 2018
Q: Many religions base their teachings upon myths. Aren’t these just fantasies?
A: It is important to understand the different levels of fantasy, myth, and the unconscious mind’s veiling of spiritual essences. These different levels are described below.
- Conscious fantasy – This occurs when you keep your attention in the state of reverie or free association. At this level, you are simply witnessing the stream of consciousness that arises in the mind at the current time, without judgment or attempts to alter it.
- Directed fantasy – You use directed fantasy when you are brainstorming to get ideas relevant to a particular topic. You might invite your mind to suggest every possible solution to a problem, which you simply write down as they come to you. In creativity, you might utilize this function to come up with different perspectives or backgrounds in a painting, or to call to mind alternative melodic refrains when composing music.
- Story-telling fantasy – When you make up a story or a joke, you are tapping this level of the mind. You may also recount—and sometimes embellish—stories that were told to you, or elaborate episodes from your own experience. In this case, the tale you weave is about a person—either yourself or someone else, and you tell a story about them. In many cultures, these stories may be a part of folklore; people retell legends about kings or queens, heroes, or great warriors. Many movies and novels draw their inspiration from this level of fantasy. This level is about human beings, who may have done humorous, remarkable, or heroic things.
- Archetypal fantasy – These are the myths that you witness in the Superconscious mind about gods, goddesses, angels, and other spiritual beings. When you tap into this dream-like dimension of your higher mind, sometimes these archetypal beings interact with you: they may show you the phenomena of the worlds over which they have purview or give you inspired discourse. You may access this level when you are passively traveling on the inner Planes, such as when you are intoxicated with a hallucinogenic or anesthetic drug. You may also experience this zone of fantasy in dreams in which your astral body is drawn up into your Superconscious mind—these are sometimes called teaching or revelatory dreams.
- Religious fantasy – These consist of a series of archetypes that are embedded in a particular band of the Continuum, and are used as landmarks upon the inner journey on that track or Path. These archetypes become the inspiration for scriptures of holy texts of religious groups; interpretations of these scriptures or commentaries upon them derive from meditations on this level of the mind. These groups may use a variety of prayers or meditations to invoke the archetypal beings that array along this track, and receive their guidance, blessings, or support. Advanced disciples or Initiates of this spiritual tradition may guide your attention, your attentional principle, or your spirit through these corridors of the mind, showing you the sacred Arcanum of the their Path.
- The veiling power of the mind – This is the covering of the unconscious mind that conceals spiritual essences. These veils may cover seed atoms of vehicles of consciousness, nuclei of identity, the spirit upon a Path, or an ensouling entity. Initiatory traditions may use mystery tales, attunements, or mantras to reveal this essence, and to remove the veil that obscures it. Once this curtain of darkness is removed, this spiritual essence is freed to unfold along the track on which it dwells.
- The veiling power of the Horizon Effect – This is a limitation inherent in the techniques that spiritual teachers of different traditions disseminate that enables someone to travel to an apparent inner horizon on a Path, but to travel no further. As a result of this inherent cosmological horizon effect, spiritual teachings are locked into certain bands of the Great Continuum of Consciousness, and cannot conceive of anything beyond the form of the Divine they behold on their inner horizon—this highest being or Supreme form of God upon which their cosmology is founded.
Most religions operate from level five, where they promote belief in the archetypal beings that inhabit their Path, teach ways to commune with them. They may capture the spiritual experiences of their advanced disciples and Initiates in the scriptures or sacred texts of their tradition.
Those spiritual traditions that initiate others into awakening a selected spiritual essence seek to remove the veil over the essence with which they perform Pathwork. They perform their spiritual work at level six. They employ mantras, attunements, and other evocative methods that clear the track to this essence. Depending on which essence these traditions awaken and unfold, they may move these essences out of alignment with the axis of being—we describe this type of spiritual work as outside the cutting edge of spirituality.
The Spectrum of Methods that Unveil and Unfold Spiritual Essences
There are a variety of methods that can remove the veil over selected spiritual essences, and in many instances, unfold that essence along an inner track, where students of these traditions can experience the archetypes that array along that pathway. The most common essences that selected methods can awaken and unfold include:
- The seed atoms of selected Subtle Realm vehicles of consciousness
- The Soul Spark and its vehicle of consciousness
- The seed atoms of the vehicles of consciousness in the Biophysical Universe
- The seed atoms of the vehicles of consciousness in the Abstract Mind Plane
- The seed atoms of the vehicles of consciousness in the Psychic Realm
- The Moon Soul nucleus of identity
- The Solar Angel and the Mighty I AM Presence nucleus of identity
- The Soul and its vehicles of consciousness
- The cosmic consciousness nucleus of identity
- The cosmic soul awareness nucleus of identity
- The Avataric consciousness nucleus of identity
- The God consciousness nucleus of identity
- The Astral Soul and its vehicles of consciousness
- The Supracosmic seed atom upon each active Supracosmic Path
- The Supracosmic Soul and its vehicles of consciousness
- The spirit and the ensouling entity on Transcendental Paths one through five
- The spirit and the ensouling entity on the Bridge Path, and Transcendental Paths six and seven
Methods 2, 8, 13, 15, 16, and 17 unfold the ensouling entity at different bands of the Continuum.
Methods 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 14 transform specific nuclei of identity.
The other methods target seed atoms in vehicles of consciousness.
When spiritual work moves these essences off the axis of being, outside of the cutting edge of spirituality, it brings about a state of spiritual imbalance that brings about re-identification with the spiritual essence that these unveiling and unfolding methods activate.
Unfolding of a spiritual essence past a certain crucial stage brings about re-identification with this essence. Where this re-identification takes place depends on the native alignment of this essence relative to the axis of being.
When you move this spiritual essence a critical distance beyond this axis of being, there is a re-integration around this spiritual essence, and it becomes your new core identity. This critical distance can range from 24 nodal points to 108 nodal points or more.
At each level of spiritual work that produces misalignment, there is a key juncture where the mind “snaps” into a new state of identification. This can occur when:
- The veil over the essence is fully effaced
- The spiritual essence is moved along its track to a vital energetic nexus point
Re-identification type (a) is characteristic of religious conversion.
Re-identification type (b) is commonly associated with Kundalini syndromes and interference with personality functioning.
Those who are interested in learning more about what happens when this misalignment occurs in religious conversion and initiatory spiritual traditions will enjoy reading our book, Religions, Cults, and Terrorism: What the Heck Are We Doing?
We teach a transformational mantra that unfolds your ensouling entity and its vehicles of consciousness at the cutting edge of spirituality, which does not migrate any essences outside of the axis of being. Those interested in learning more about this can look into our intermediate courses, the in-person Mudrashram® Master Course in Meditation or the by-mail and online Accelerated Meditation Program.
Aspirants will benefit from contemplating each of these levels of fantasy and the veiling power of the mind. This reflection helps you develop spiritual discernment.