Mudrashram Institute of Spiritual Studies
Kundalini Syndrome in Couples
By George A. Boyd ©2006
Kundalini awakening can arise from a variety of causes. The most common are:
(1) Spontaneous – your own Soul activates the Kundalini to make the personality aware of its presence within. This is usually not a problem because the Soul sends the kundalini back down again after it has given you a glimpse of its presence. This may be what underlies the phenomena of “peak experiences.”
(2) Induced – In this form, someone who has a spiritual power to awaken someone else’s kundalini (Shaktipat) awakens it within you. This is becoming more popular now, as there are a variety of newly minted teachers going around the world giving “dikshas” for a nominal fee. This can cause problems if they raise the kundalini to a level beyond your cutting edge of spirituality. These attunements may also “lock” or fix your attention in a higher octave of being, so you can’t come back down to your normal state of consciousness again.
(3) Imbalance-generated – This type occurs when a person does spiritual practices at an octave of being outside their cutting edge of spirituality, and creates an imbalance in their vehicles of consciousness. At some point, when there is a “fulcrum-shift” and the higher octave moves beyond its correct alignment with your correct cutting edge of spirituality, the kundalini may spontaneously rise and become fixed in this higher octave, and not come back down. This is unfortunately becoming more common in those seekers who use various mantras and Kriyas that operate on the cosmic consciousness nucleus of identity (First Cosmic Initiation), or who use these techniques to awaken the Supracosmic seed atom along one of the 73 Supracosmic Paths.
To understand the mechanism of imbalance, the reader is referred to the article, “The Cutting Edge of Spirituality” on our web site.
(4) Intensification – In this scenario, the practitioner uses techniques to deliberately intensify the kundalini energy. These methods include different varieties of hyperventilation (e.g., breath of fire, kundalini breathing, rebirthing, holodynamic breathing), prematurely opening chakras with seed mantras (this may induce the kundalini to rise up prematurely), and a variety of hatha yoga practices (e.g., bandhas, striking or squeezing the chakras) that intensify the kundalini energy and may force it to rise up. The problem with this scenario is that, like a runaway train, the kundalini may rise beyond the practitioner’s ability to control it and burn its way upward—causing severe kundalini syndromes.
Each member of a couple, in which both members are experiencing a kundalini syndrome, may have arrived at this unfortunate state of affairs by one of these pathways. You and your partner may wish to determine whether you can identify any of these typical triggers that may have played a role in starting your own kundalini syndrome.
In regards to the role of interpersonal dynamics in intensifying kundalini in relationships, it is important to reflect on the auric influence of one individual on another. These include
(1) Physical-sexual – the sexual act, especially if it is sustained (e.g., tantric sex, maithuna, karezza), has some effect on intensifying the kundalini energy and drawing it upward.
Tantric sexual practitioners, moreover, use specialized breathing to actively awaken the kundalini during the sex act.
(2) Etheric-emotional – the energetic personal bands of the aura can in some ways induce contagion effects, e.g., if one partner is angry, it may spark anger in another.
This probably does not play a significant role in the intensification of kundalini, other than, if your partner is suffering in the grips of his or her kundalini misery, it may stimulate your own. [In psychology, this phenomena is called counter-transference.]
(3) Mental-volitional – in this scenario, if your partner is in a particular altered state of awareness, you may find yourself entering a similar altered state.
For example, if your partner is discoursing on the world from a scientific or psychic perspective, you may feel yourself shifting to those perspectives so you can communicate with him or her. Kundalini may play a role in communicating from higher vehicles of consciousness, what we call inspired discourse or satsang.
(4) Spiritual-Transpersonal – this tuning fork phenomenon occurs when an individual’s attention is fixed in a spiritual essence, such as the attentional principle, the spirit, a nucleus of identity or an ensouling entity.
This stimulates that same state of consciousness in you. When both partners are experiencing a kundalini syndrome kundalini is likely activating a higher center in both of you.
We suspect that this tuning fork phenomenon is at the root of the intensification that you experience in each other’s presence.
[This tuning fork phenomenon is greatly intensified when many people, all established in the same state of consciousness, gather together in large groups. That is why, for example, the Kumbha Mela, where between ten and thirty million spiritual practitioners from different groups gather in one place, has such a powerful effect on people’s awareness.]
To avoid exacerbating a kundalini syndrome, we recommend that you avoid doing any intensification practices; do not receive any dikshas or Shaktipat, which may further aggravate your current symptoms; and stay away from large groups where everyone is in an altered state of awareness.
Grounding methods [see our article, “Grounding: Coming Back from Altered States of Awareness” may be effective in normalizing your awareness after spontaneous and induced kundalini awakening, and may sometimes diffuse the effects produced by intensification practices.
But to the degree that either induced kundalini awakening or intensification practices have promoted imbalances, grounding may not be effective in reversing these symptoms.
If you have unwittingly induced imbalances in your zeal for spiritual advancement, these problems can sometimes be corrected by an attunement that rebalances you.
We perform this attunement free of charge after doing a specialized Soul Reading, the Kundalini Syndrome Reading, to verify that an imbalance has been created in you, and confirm that this imbalance is affecting your kundalini.
Those individuals interested in learning more about this specialized service for kundalini syndromes may e-mail us at george at mudrashram.com.